Thursday, September 20, 2007

4.16.07It has now been almost one week since we found my grandmother. This is my homage to her. Something I couldn't muster up in my younger years. I don't say that type of thing to beat myself up, just to be honest. Most people can be objective about their teenage years. In that that was what they were. I know that the fire erupted over a pittance, inflexibility, unwillingness to change. I was stubborn when I was young, and that stubbornness has followed me into my later years, but I am getting tired of the fight. Tired of arguing with family members, I don;t care about being right as much anymore. I find myself having that impulse, but there's a lot on which I bank the fact that I have gotten myself into the situation I'm in and perhaps had I heeded warnings earlier, I might have avoided the trouble, and consequently, some of the embarrassment. What was meant to be was meant to be however. Even so, I think today my grandmother would rather keep the past in the past.I couldn't help but think some of the fire & rescue men were angels indeed, shuffling around in her room, puzzled at how a woman my grandmother's age could even have made it as far as she did. She has histories, it seems, and there was no doubt about her needing to go to the emergency room...My grandmother did give you a kiss and a hug. It was gentle, not a big hug or anything like that, mild, but it was sincere, intended. She'd ask you for a hug too from time to time, but now looking back, I'm not sure if she came from a family that often expressed emotions with great comfort. We were Polish through and through, and if I've known anything about Polish families, it might be that they are somewhat reserved. But the love that is shared is deeply felt, in terms of understanding of loved ones, gratitude, honor. At least, that's how I've always read it. Fondness can be read more easily than familial love, but a strong bond does exist between family members. That alone would be interesting to try to study.Nanny Laura is proud of her Polish heritage, through and through. On this last trip, my father told me about how she could speak a little Polish but more than that, understood the language even better. I have a trickle of memory that she might have been able to add a little Polish to conversations with my Aunt Julia, who was from what I know, considerably older than Nanny Laura. This would have been when I was very young though before I was ten. So probably 20-25 years ago. Mostly, I would wonder how much my grandmother would recognize if she could hear someone who spoke in the same patterns as her sisters did. My father said he was unable or did not attempt to trace any of the Puirek lineage in Poland but that it is a high probability that there are distant cousins in some parts of Poland. My uncle Ziggy is the only remaining relative on that side of the family. But there was Julia, Bertha, Elmer (Lefty), Ziggy, Pete, Anne, Eleanore, that I can think of now. It seems strange that I should only now try to compile this kind of family history, which is really my own personal family history, but the truth is, when my father, mother and sister moved to Nebraska in 1988, our visits to New York became less and less. Therefore, our ties to the family got weaker as well, sadly. As time passed, the relatives on that side of the family died as is naturally the case. In addition, once my grandfather Eddie died in 1991, that side of his family would have weakened as well, as we, as children knew them only from afar. My grandmother, Alice, had closest ties to certain sides of her family, a lot of which have also passed on in the last few years. I have realized much too late that those people's lives and experiences are and were the last remnants of the old world from which they came. They were what was left of the unified theory of the world as we know it.They embody a strong family but not one without faults. Not one without divide ir resentment, discontent among members. It seems at times it was enough to keep each from speaking to one another, if only for just a little while.

No comments: