Thursday, September 20, 2007

4.21.07My grandmother passed away early this morning, 3:30 Am from what my father said. I don't know how much I had gotten here but she had been in a Hospice care center since Wednesday, if I'm getting my dates correct. That's one thing that she bestowed on all of us, which might have always been one of the more impressive character traits: she never forgot a birthday or an anniversary. What might have been mistaken as an overvigilance was truly her charm as a human being, whether she wrote down people's birthdays or simply remembered them, though it was probably a mixture of both. She called my father to remind him of such things probably to his ire at times. You couldn't slip one past her, it just didn't happen very often. That was her way of being on the firing line of life, of keeping in touch with the reality around her. What a wonderful thing she had taught me. She continued to send me birthday cards, even up until this last year. I'm now thirty years old. That was the down side of her getting old, probably even to her, the inability to keep up with that. In that way, nature was kind to her, in affording her only a narrow berth of confusion. I am mostly saddened by those thoughts, the idea of her losing track of the time in the nursing home, going to bed in the afternoon because she thought it was nighttime. This from a woman who kept a tight calendar, who wanted to ensure that her bills were paid on time, that she made it to a voting booth on election day, if she could help out a given charity that she thought warranted her cause, she would make sure to give them what she thought she could spare, and by all accounts, she wanted the birthday, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day, Halloween cards, ( god that list she would have had tgo keep a list for that) all of them sent out on time so they would reach us before hand. I'm so grateful that my mother taught me to write thank you notes, however belated. Simply because I learned to send her notes back, to try to update her as best I could on what was happening with me. Some of my life became muddled, unsure, not really wanting to upset or concern or confuse her. There were just things happening to me and facets of my life that I didn't really understand yet. Things that I don't entirely know if I can understand even to this day. I look at her life, and I don't think it was spoiled in the least. My grandmother who cared about the little things, she just wanted you to know that she recognized you, that you were imprtant to her, if no other. If I have any regret in my life, it continues to be my distance from my family, the great barrier that I have left in place unintentionally. Lately, I have been asking if it needed to be there, if it's meant to stay in place. The passing of a truly great person from my life pains me in this way. How I could have been closer, how I wanted to be, so we could all enjoy ourselves as family again, or even just more often than t has been. It's a question I need to work with, to wrestle in the impending days. It just that I will miss her from my life, miss what she represented, that certainty that someone care, had left the light on, that someone would have a card for you at your birthday, that someone would tell you a story before you went to bed, that she remember what kind of desserts you liked, what you liked to drink, who your favortie team was, and on and on, Goodbye Nanny Laura, we hope you finally receive the love you gave this world..4.19.07I'd like to not dwell on the fact that I lost a day of notes that I had written down, because that makes me upset. I don't want to feel upset and I guess most people don't - that I'm not alone in that endeavor. Basically, where the attraction to drugs and drinking came from. Even so, I have had to go with this feeling, and listen to the advice of people who have had more experience with the dying of someone I care about... just in the same fact that that kind of experience gives me the language I need to move forward with the process...it's just been novel trying to sort through the memory of how her life impacted me, how our lives intersected over the years... how joyful she would be to see us, to tell us something that she had learned... all those years of stories about Tracy Schoonmaker, like she was so proud to be a part of our family, of continuing to bear our name. How she would talk to strangers on a plane,

No comments: