Thursday, September 20, 2007

4.15.07Not much changed between yesterday and today according to my father. Now I'm back on the phone with them, thinking more about it. How my father sometimes leaves things out (on purpose) but maybe also because he doesn't like to give disinformation. I've got to go back to work tomorrow and am realizing how much I don't seem to have been put on this earth for the purpose of working away at a job all day... not when I have these matters of the heart to deal with but then again, I feel like I learned something valuable over this weekend. Was I meant to be there for some reason, so it could tell me something about what I'm made of, literally, because when you watch family memebers go through their own personal battles, it tells you a lot about who you are, where you come from... it seems like my Nanny Laura was criticized for being "sickly" or weak but in reality she was a tough cookie for pain, a tougher woman for illness. She may have had ailments that came but she survived them. And considering what children had to fight in the late 19-teens and twenties and the little availability for medicine, it seems a miracle that they ever survived their childhood. My grandmother was born in 1916. I will always remember that date. My other grandmother is younger but not by much. She was born in 1918. Amazing to think that they have spanned that many decades. And with them goes the memory of the old country. Of this much I am ashamed. That I haven't had more time to write down stories. Not necessarily stories but as much as could be known. Nanny Laura might have forgotten more than I ever remembered about things she told me. She often wanted to let me known what my Papa James, her husband, my grandfather was like. Stories about Papa James, about when we were tiny babies and Papa James would hold us. Her mission in life was to remember, to transmit, and often to bridge the gap between the past and the present. She tried, and sometimes, I am ashamed to admit, I turned off that curiosity, I guarded myself from that kind of nostalgia. Today I yearn for it, I find it fascinating... she is fascinated. I don't know if she'll ever regain that fascination, that wonder, that earnestness of learning new things, forming opinions... her days are no longer young ones. Her heart slower than it used to be, her body losing its immunity to even the slightest infraction. This is how it becomes in the latter years. I have to pray for God's blessing, pray for his peace to come upon her, pray for quiet, for guidance whether it be in continuing on this plain or over into the next... I have to prepare myself for that...to continue no longer as it had been but in a new way...

No comments: