Sunday, April 25, 2010

The truth is I'm not sure I care enough about the welfare of students. I found myself employing the Socratic method with trainees since I really feel that the stronger students need to learn to think for themselves. As far as other strategies I'm not sure I have many names for them or would even begin to know what they actually did in terms of allowing people to learn more easily than what is already out there. Basically, if people are going to really master a network of thinking where they are in contact with many people, they need to learn to ask better questions, of the people they are servicing, of themselves. Then there is the whole trial and error method. But I guess it's a harsh self-indictment to say I don't care at all, and probably not true. But you learn the value of detachment quite quickly, of detaching from someone who maybe might not be grasping a particular subject matter. You can learn so much from the way that people react to their own mistakes, their own swirling feelings of helplessness in the process of trying to force the benefits of repetition upon themselves.
What seems more uncomfortable rather may simply be the growing pains of having to watch emotionally those people who are not quick to apply new knowledge quickly. Like watching those cute little mice in a maze going down the same path thinking that they will find the same reward even though they have already had that reward removed from them on other occasions. There is that internal battle that I go through frequently imagining that I am at the root of their demise. I didn't point out the correct information or place the proper tools in their way for learning to occur. If I had been clearer, perhaps they wouldn't be so confused, etc. So you try to find other methods, separate approaches that might stimulate their ability to see what is already there. Plato/Socrates believed that the answers are innate, that they are already apparent to the student, so that it remains the burden of both the student & teacher to illuminate the truth within. No matter how philosophical we get with it. All this mention of learning disability throws a knuckle-curve into the Platonic model simply because sometimes people fall victim to the delusion that they have blocks to learning that cannot be removed, and that they have to work around them, and if they can't it's because they are predisposed to not gaining any understanding. Hence, learned helplessness.
But I am not even remotely that far in that process for anything like that to be conclusive. Not even close, they have the entire industry being blown into their faces successively and they are expected to swallow the entire basket of tricks within weeks. It didn't happen for me like that and I seriously didn't think I would be employed there nearly as long as I was. Sometimes, I still begin to think that it is an entire miracle I was ever passed into the next phase of development but they kept seeing to it that I show up on their doorsteps, ready to work through another day.
The fact of the matter it always seems that when I ask people why they don't like to learn they say they just don't have the time nor patience. It seems patience is the one virtue on which people are short, that and resilience. Ask anybody if they play chess and they will likely tell you it's too hard or that they don't understand the rules. SO it stands to reason that if they don't understand the rules, and can't get beyond the reality that there are rules at all, they will seldom even attempt to play the game.

No comments: