Thursday, March 20, 2008

I find it somewhat non-coincidental that in the throes of therapy the Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz came bubbling up through my therapist's lips. Granted, this is a famous book from what I understand and it seems to have a lasting effect on the people who read it. I remember my friend Tim was singing its praises one morning as he drank his morning coffee. The good news to me is I think I've begun to ask questions for better understanding. I personally like the question "What do you mean by that?" or "What did you mean by that?" This is not because the other person is being unclear by any stretch of the imagination, but rather that I simply don't always know what other people are trying to relay to me: be it humor, confusion, concern, or just flat information.

At any rate, I googled what I could remember of the doctor's words because it was bothering me... anything I could do to sort of solidfy things in my mind, I was ready to do. You need some codes to live by in order to find a foothold in the greater world of your own reality... I wonder how many people secretively or outwardly have a particular code or philosophy to live by, and then conversely, their personal feelings of success. Just to get that cross-section of people who live by spiritual principles. At any rate, I'm glad I found it because now my interest is piqued for that book which I picked up at Brooke's but never really got far within... I'll put these up as a reminder to myself and rue the fact that I'm such a self-help guru, but some things are necessary , if not would have been wiser to have engaged in all along. But now they're here should I want to return to them.

BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD

Speak with integrity. Say only what you meant. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your work in the direction of truth and love.

DON'T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY

Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won;t be the victim of needless suffering.

DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS

Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST

Your best is going to change from moment to moment, it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstances, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse, and regret.

No comments: