Monday, February 25, 2008

I found myself wondering what it was that I liked about Omar throughout the series but by the end it was undeniable for me... he was not necessarily a good person... just a vigilante in my mind... the guy who took the law into his own hands and there is some valour in that. Obviously, this was his last stand at getting to Marlo Chris & Snoop and he over extended himself... every time I saw him limping around the streets like he was, I kept thinking he's out in broad daylight for anyone to see. He wasn't being none to smart but that was part of his character, the sort of raw pride of a gunslinger who thinks and knows he's above the law... The best was when he robbed the card game that Marlo was at, and he put his gun into Marlo's face and said "You musta mistook me for someone who listens"
I like how they built his character off his relationships with Jimmy and Bunk, how a guy like Omar sort of took care of some business they couldn't do themselves by being on the streets all the time.
Fact is, I think most people wanted Omar to get Marlo and Chris before the cops did. But that's likely not real life... Omar's legacy is that he's a fictitious Robin Hood of the streets and he did his part to buck the status quo from within ... and believe me, I let out a pretty loud "Ohh no way!!" when that kid--- I kept thinking maybe he won't die from it... but in a show shooting for a slice of reality, only Superman can dodge bullets... In a lot of ways, he does epitomize what is left of the American Dream, fighting to stay alive amid the wastelands of moral vagrancy.

No comments: