Thursday, November 22, 2007

Giving thanks.
I'm grateful I sat around a table today filled with gracious food, and everything was delcious and I enjoyed the company, and I didn't feel like I had to be the center of attention, it never once occurred to me...that there were smiling faces around the table and noone disliked anyone else. The discussion was steady but not heavy, and it wasn't strained. We ate and were merry, we laughed at each other lovingly. I am not entirely a stranger to others' generosity, I take it in stride because there's no guarantee in life.. . I am grateful that while I've had my struggles I have never slept in a mission on Thanksgiving. I think of those horror stories about families that are missing their brother, sister, mother, father, son, daughter and don't know where they are because of some tragedy. I am sorry that those tragedies ever occur on or around the holidays, forever fixing a date in someone's mind that this date will ever be one of sadness. That people would have to mull around forever with that weight on their conscience. And maybe have to hold back, or feel like they have to hold back explaining to people why maybe they just can't do it this year. Or maybe it's not going to be the way it was in years past because it's just not really going to be the same for them. You get the idea. I know it's out there, and part of me wonders how many people go through this Let them have peace somehow... let them find each other. Or some power that will get them through it.

No comments: