Monday, December 07, 2009

My Son Volt Greatest Hits Album So Far: 1995-2009

The best band in the world for road trips, hands down. So I got stuck on 1-29 with snow falling down, glaring at the taillights in front of me. I got tired of hard-driving rock n roll, properly stated, and remembered that I had all my Son Volt albums still with me and thought I needed to get back into the Jay Farrar mind set since I had some time on my hands, and the road was still ahead of me. And I have to tell you, they took me home. So this list was my effort at narrowing it down to the best 15. (which I ended up unable to do) And this was not easy because I pulled out my absolute favorite. Then, I turned my focus into ranking so I whiddled it down to the barest essentials. This is even more difficult, you have your truly great timeless songs and mere pearls of musical excellence that Mr. Farrar is perfectly capable of crafting out of sheer effort-driven genius. Thank God for real you don't have to do this, you can take it all just as it comes.

With that I created this list,

Tear Stained Eye (trace)
Methamphetamine (search)
Left a Slide (Straight)
Down to the Wire (acd)
Live Free (trace)
Jet Pilot (okemah)
Afterglow 61 (okemah)
Action (search)
10 Second News (trace)
Cocaine & Ashes (acd)
No More Parades (straight)
6 String Belief (okemah)
Dead Man's Clothes (tremolo)
Wheels Don't Move (acd)
Creosote (straight)
Bandages & Scars (okemah)
Strands (tremolo)
Highways & Cigarettes (search)


Honorable mention: The Search, Out of the Picture (Trace), Been Set Free (Straightways), Mystifies Me (Trace), Flow (Wide Swing) , Ipecac (Okemah), Circadian Rhythm (Search)

No comments: