Wednesday, July 09, 2008

I was reading about Gustavus Swift in the 1880's the first to begin using railway cars to ship frozen meat from one city to another- hence the beginiing of meat-shipping companies and refrigerated railcars-- I'm getting to be so saturated with useless but interesting knowledge...
But what if --and how are we to doubt that it didn't happen-- employees of the slaughterhouses falling into the meat-packing refineries... shipped off to other cities and placed on the grocery store shelves or in the coolers... then some pour soul happens upon the grainy remains of the sad worker who fell into the combine... I shudder to think of it. OKay, OKay, so that's a dark thought, but it came to me. I guess there's parts of history that sort of pull you in. Others that make you yawn-- wide.

No comments: