Monday, April 21, 2008

Today would be an incredible nap day me thinks... yet another dull white, colorless sky

for us here in Omaha... the original proponent of naps I ran into this weekend. Laura

Heinemann or Weber not sure if she's taken on Chris' name yet. But the story goes for those who have not heard it yet that she and her roommate Holly had a loft in their dorm room

in college, a loft that they had borrowed or bought from people who had lived there before, on which someone had neatly written the phrase, "Naps are Nice," which was actually a mantra

for many of us back in those days. College is great for that because it often created that deep relaxed state, ingesting volumes and volumes of intellgence and knowledge for the self... then you would be right in the frame of mind for a long bout of deep sleep.


Naps are Nice. My favorite place to stop and take a nap would have been-hands-down- the Creighton library basement with their long cushioned couches, or even better take two cushioned chairs, push them together and off to bliss you go... the slight buzz from the weak florescent light, the ultra-silent library atmosphere and the cool temperature of the basement, surrounded by all those books, made for heavy dreaming. I found the poetry section in that library too, unrivaled so far by most book stores or other libraries that I've seen.

#2- my parents couch at their house in Florida. Now granted I have to travel 1500 miles and get a quiet moment to myself to get it, but man, the cool leather and the quietude of their living room, the combination leaves me waking up with drool on my lips EVERY time. The leather is soft and malleable to the skin and I know that I have a tendency to feel as if I am falling into the cushion. It's kind of like that scene in Trainspotting where the camera gives us the perception that Ewan MacGregor is falling down INTO the couch entirely.

No comments: