Thursday, March 30, 2006

I feel that yesterday, in commenting on The Squid & the Whale, I was more harsh than I can admit right now. I can admit that I knew I was being harsh even as I was writing that whole quip. But I won't retract. Instead, I can return to the subject for a second pass. Bernard, the Jeff Daniels character in the movie is a compelling subject in human loneliness. I said before that I could relate with him, and I think that's what sells me on this movie. At first, I thought it was funny but eventually, I just thought him sad, weak. The effect of this character mirrors that of Sean Penn in HurlyBurly and certainly Royal Tannenbaum. The arrogant, the decadent and the self-deficient. The fact that his children mimick him, that they take on his turns of phrases, and his mannerisms are a very powerful cause for thought. When most people can consider how much they have taken from their parents. Their temperament, their opinions, beliefs. What we hold sacred as truth, as definitive reality. Walt- who becomes a liar stopped in his tracks, matched by his girlfriend who actually reads Kafka's Metamorpheses at his suggestion, then cannot have any kind of lively conversation with him (because he hasn't read the story), only throws the words back at her in emptiness. I'm not entirely up to this tonight... I have other things on my brain, not the least of which is spring sprung, and the sometimes unholy consequences thereof...

No comments: